MICRONESIA CITIZENSHIP: Citizenship is based upon the Citizenship and Naturalization Act of May 10, 1979 (date of independence). All persons who were citizens of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands prior to the date of independence are considered citizens of Micronesia.
- BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Micronesia does not automatically confer citizenship.
- BY DESCENT: Child, at least one of whose parents was a citizen of the Trust Territory before independence or was a citizen of Micronesia after independence.
- BY NATURALIZATION: Micronesian citizenship is acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
- Person has resided in the country for at least five years.
- Person is the child or spouse of a citizen of Micronesia
- Person is a permanent resident of Micronesia.
- Person is competent in one of the languages of the country.
- Person has renounced previous citizenship.
MICRONESIA DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED
Exception: Dual citizenship was recognized before the constitution was adopted. According to the constitution, anyone who possessed dual citizenship prior to May 10, 1979, has up to three years after their 18th birthday, or three years after the acceptance of the constitution, whichever is later, to retain Micronesian citizenship and renounce other citizenship. Those who do not renounce other citizenship will become a “national” (permanent resident) of Micronesia.
MICRONESIA LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP:
- VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Micronesian citizenship is permitted by law. Contact the Embassy for details and required paperwork.
- INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Micronesian citizenship:
- Person voluntarily acquires foreign citizenship.
- Person declares formal allegiance to a foreign state.
- Person enters the service of foreign armed forces. (Service in the armed forces of the United States is permitted in certain cases.)
- Person votes in a political election of a foreign state.
For more detailed information and advice on citizenship, please Contact EFSAG.