Andorra Citizenship

ANDORRA CITIZENSHIP: Per information provided by the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona, Spain: the information provided does not include recent modifications approved by the Andorran Parliament on October 27, 1992, but never implemented.

  • BY BIRTH: Birth within the principality of Andorra does not automatically confer citizenship. The exceptions are children of unknown parents or children born in Andorra if at least one parent was also born in Andorra.
  • BY DESCENT: Child, at least one of whose parents is a citizen of Andorra, regardless of the country of birth.
  • BY NATURALIZATION: Andorran citizenship is very difficult to obtain. The following are those most easily able to apply for citizenship:
  • Child born outside Andorra to an Andorran mother or father who was born outside Andorra.
  • Those married to an Andorran who has lived at least three years in the country.
  • Child age 14 and under, adopted by an Andorran.
  • Application by individuals who have 25 years of residence in Andorra.

ANDORRA DUAL CITIZENSHIP:  NOT RECOGNIZED. Exception: Due to the fact that the Andorran government has no way of knowing if a person has become a citizen of another country, dual citizenship can arise through default.  For those who must be sure of no dual citizenship, it is best to contact the Andorran government and inform them of the change of citizenship.


  • VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted by law under the following conditions: Person has established residency abroad, has acquired another nationality, and has renounced citizenship in front of a notary. Given that Andorra has no representatives in the United States, it is assumed that renunciation must take place in Andorra.
  • INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Andorran citizenship:
  • Person voluntarily acquires a foreign citizenship. (See ‘Dual Citizenship: Exception’)
  • Person voluntarily enrolls in a foreign army.
  • Person holds a foreign political office.

For more detailed information and advice on citizenship, please Contact DeltaQuest .