Taiwan Citizenship

TAIWAN CITIZENSHIP: Based on the Nationality Law of the Republic of China, dated February 5, 1929. Citizenship is based primarily on descent from the father (jus sanguinis).

  • BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Taiwan does not automatically confer citizenship. Only when a child of unknown parentage is found is citizenship granted. This citizenship is removed, upon legitimization by a foreign parent.
  • Child whose father is, at the time of that child’s birth, a Taiwanese national, even if the father died before birth.
  • Child whose father is unknown or stateless but whose mother is a Taiwanese national.
  • Child born out of wedlock to foreign woman and Taiwanese national father who has been legitimatized (recognized) by the father.
  • MARRIAGE: Person who is the foreign wife of a Taiwanese national, except when the law of her own country requires that she retain her original citizenship.
  • BY NATURALIZATION: Citizenship of Taiwan, Republic of China, can be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Person has resided in the territory for at least five years, has reached the age of 20 years, is of good character, and has sufficient property or skill to make an independent living.
  • The spouse and non-majority age children of a naturalized citizen acquire the Taiwanese citizenship unless it is contrary to the law of the spouse’s, or children’s, original country.



  • VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Taiwanese citizenship is permitted for any persons over the age of 20, except for…
  • Persons of military age who have not yet performed their service
  • Persons who are in active military service
  • Persons who hold military or civilian office.
  • INVOLUNTARY: The following is grounds for involuntary loss of Taiwanese citizenship: Voluntary acquisition of foreign citizenship. A Taiwanese woman who acquires foreign citizenship through marriage may return to Taiwan as a citizen if the marriage dissolves or she is widowed.

For more detailed information and advice on citizenship, please Contact DeltaQuest .